Santuario della Madonna della Serra San Benedetto Val di Sambro
Via La Costa, 4, fraz. Ripoli, | San Benedetto Val di Sambro, (BO)
This Marian Shrine has very ancient origins: an oratory already existed in this place in 1566, while in 1605 the construction of the church began.
This Marian Shrine has very ancient origins: an oratory already existed in this place in 1566, while in 1605 the construction of the church began. It was finally inaugurated in 1616. In 1840 the construction of a new shrine was contracted, in 1912 the massive facade was erected and finally in 1945 the bell tower was raised. The Shrine contains very interesting art works: two paintings by Varotti, a historical organ and the wooden choir loft by Puccetti (1888). Beyond the beautiful architectural structure and the artistic works that it contains, the Shrine has represented, and still represents, a point of reference and devotion for all the inhabitants of the Setta valley.
At a short distance from the Shrine, on the road called "dell'Angelo", which the pilgrim takes at the beginning of the last leg, there is a stone with an angel, placed in the place of the Blessed Virgin apparition to two young shepherds. The tradition tells it took place around the year 1000 and it was the reason for the building of the oratory.